We live in an age where choices are in abundance. From the toothpaste we buy to the coffee we drink, sometimes it may seem like there are too many options to choose from. When it comes to renovating a home, the possibilities are endless. In trying to figure out what paint to buy or what tiles to use, decision-making can be daunting. But it doesn’t have to be. Tiles Cape Town
Tiles are exciting. There are so many different materials and sizes to choose from and this guide will explain just that.
Keep reading to find out all about different types of tile and how to choose what is best for your renovation.
What Are the Different Types?
- Ceramic tiles – Most tiles that are used for tiling both floors and walls are ceramic. Ceramic tiles are made from clay, sand, and water.
- Porcelain tiles – Porcelain tiles are considered ceramic but are different in that the clay used to make porcelain tile is more refined and purified. They are also almost entirely waterproof which makes them ideal for walls, floors, and even commercial spaces. They can be either glazed or unglazed.
- Mosaic tiles – One of the most exciting tiles is the mosaic tile. Mosaics may contain many elements including ceramic, stone, marble, porcelain, glass, and even pebbles.
- Cement tiles – Cement tiles are made of cement rather than clay. Unlike clay ceramic tiles, they are left to cure after being pressed whereas ceramic tiles are heated and finished in a kiln.
- Stone tile – One of the most expensive but arguably the best tile is a stone tile. These tiles are made from natural stone such as granite, slate, onyx and marble. While these are the most expensive tiles, high-end printing enables a similar aesthetic to be achieved by printing on man-made tiles.
What Are the Best Types of Tile?
There are many types of tile and one isn’t necessarily better than the other. Some are better quality or more durable. Some are rarer and more expensive. Some are textured and contain many different types of materials whereas some are one colour of smooth glaze.
Choosing the right tile is a process that requires deciding on many different details. You have to not only think about the look and the aesthetic of your new tiles but also the durability and practicality.
What Else Should You Consider?
In addition to durability, there are other elements of a tile to think about in deciding which one to go with such as size, colour, and texture.
- Size – When you think about what size you’re looking for, think about the size of space you’ll be using them in. If you have a large open kitchen with a lot of floor space, you would probably want to choose a larger tile. For a smaller space like a guest bathroom, you’d want to lean towards a smaller tile.
- Color and Texture – Tiles come in a myriad of beautiful colours and textures due to the combination of natural materials and colours that are used in making them.
Lighter tiles usually call for lighter grout, which will show more dirt. A darker colour might work better for a place that gets a lot of foot traffic.
A tile with a delicate or glossy texture might be better suited to a wall, where there is no foot traffic.
- Porosity or Water Absorption Capacity – Depending on where you live, some tiles may not be strong enough to endure changes in temperature.
If you live in colder temperatures or are using tiles outside, make sure you choose a tile that can withstand those temperatures so that you don’t end up with a bunch of cracked tiles.
Click here to book an appointment and to take a look at our stunning, yet practical selection of Tiles. Discover the right surface for your space. Please contact our friendly team, and we’ll be happy to help.Kitchen Wall Tiles Cape Town
How can we help you Get it Done?
We want to hear from you. Get in touch with one of our experienced staff. Contact us on:
CPT: (021) 510 2081