There are a number of outdoor tiles to choose from, so if you don’t know what to look for, the decision can seem overwhelming. We’ve put together a few tips that’ll help you narrow down the choices and pick the best outdoor tile for your home. Floor Tiles Johannesburg
Before you start shopping, make sure you ask yourself these five questions:
- What’s Your Budget? – The first thing you have to think about when buying outdoor tile is your budget. The amount you can afford will limit the selection you can choose from. Come up with a budget first and write it down. You’ll be more likely to remember and stick to your budget if you see it in writing.
- Where and How Will You Use Them? – While all outdoor tile can withstand the elements, they aren’t all built the same. Some outdoor tiles are tougher than others. That means some outdoor tile is prone to scratches, cracks, and other damage. Make sure you get an outdoor tile that can last in your area. Some outdoor tile works better on walls. Other outdoor tile works better when you install it on the ground. Make sure you get the right type for your project.
- What’s the Weather Like in Your Area? – Do you live in an area with mild weather conditions? Do you get snow in the winter? Rain in the spring? Record high heat in the summer? A tile that can hold up to heat may not do well with snow or ice. If you get a lot of rain, your tile might need an extra grip.
Figure out what type of weather your area gets then base your tile search off that.
- How Much Light Do You Get? – Dark tile colours can make a shady area feel dank and gloomy. Similarly, light tile colours can make a sunny area feel washed out.
To get the best visual effect, always install light coloured tile in places that don’t get a lot of suns. If your patio gets a lot of direct sunlight, use dark tile instead.
- What Is the Current Style and Color of Your Home? – Don’t choose a tile style that’ll clash with the design of the rest of your home.
For example, rustic outdoor tile will look odd and out of place with a sleek, modern home. Find something that’ll complement your style rather than detract from it.
You should also think about the colour.
Do you want your outdoor tile to match the colour of your home? If not, make sure you pick a colour that will blend in with the rest of your aesthetics.
Popular Types of Outdoor Tile
Now that you have some tips that’ll help you pick the best outdoor tile for your home, let’s take a look at some of your options.
Here’s a quick list of some of the most popular outdoor tile choices.
Ceramic can handle mild weather conditions and light outdoor use, but it isn’t as strong as other types of outdoor tile. Because of this, you should only pick ceramic for covered patios or patios that don’t see a lot of extreme weather changes.
And remember, not all ceramic tile is made the same.
Some types are weaker or stronger than others, so make sure you pick a durable option. Depending on what you buy, ceramic can be an affordable choice, but there is a lot of flexibility in the price range.
Porcelain tile is dense and strong, which makes it a good choice for outdoor use. But make sure you find porcelain tile rated for the outdoors.
Indoor porcelain tile often has a glossy surface that will become very slippery if it gets wet. Instead, you’ll want your porcelain to have a textured surface.
Slate is a type of natural stone (which we will see more of on this list).
This tile is durable and strong, and it also has a natural surface texture. This means it will be slip-resistant without you having to do anything else to it.
You can find slate in a variety of colours, including dark colours like black and grey and brighter colours like green or orange.
Concrete tile gives you a cheaper way to get a “natural stone” outdoor floor. Manufacturers mould the concrete into the right texture and colour them to make them look like natural stone.
This gives your home a high-end look for a fraction of the cost.
Concrete tile is durable and can withstand harsh weather and heavy foot traffic. However, you will have to reseal it every few years.
Now that you know what outdoor tile suites your home the best, it’s time to start the installation process. But before you can get to work, you need the right tools.
Click here to book an appointment and to take a look at our stunning, yet practical selection of Porcelain Tiles. Discover the right surface for your space. Please contact our friendly team, and we’ll be happy to help.Floor Tiles Johannesburg
How can we help you Get it Done?
We want to hear from you. Get in touch with one of our experienced staff. Contact us on:
CPT: (021) 510 2081