Porcelain Tile is a newer type of ceramic tile. It is made from finer, denser clay and is fired at higher temperatures. Also, porcelain tile is tougher, more resistant to scratches and stains than other types and more durable too. It can easily endure heavy foot traffic at both residential and commercial locations. Today porcelain is becoming an increasingly popular option for flooring and an ideal choice for tile flooring applications.Porcelain Tile Cape Town
What are porcelain tiles used for?
Porcelain tiles are suitable as flooring because of their distinct absorption rate that is less than 0.5 percent. And since the tiles are compact, they are stronger and more resilient to staining. Many houses have porcelain tile installation in floors and outdoor areas.
How durable is porcelain tile flooring?
In the world of floor and wall coverings, porcelain tiles are the undisputed king in terms of durability. The tiles are heated at extreme temperatures resulting in an extremely rigid, durable, and stain-resistant tile that is impenetrable to moisture. They can be installed in the harshest of places and can withstand cold, rain and extreme weather conditions for an extended period of time.
Advantages of Porcelain:
- Resistance to Wear and Tear – Robust, compact, and extremely durable, porcelain tiles can withstand the majority of heavy impact stresses and can even be used in commercial purposes. As a good rule of thumb, the material can be considered with a PEI rating of at least 5, making it ideal for the majority of environments both residential and commercial.
- Liquid Resistance – Because they are exceptionally compact, porcelain tile floors are highly resistant to liquid penetration compared to their more porous ceramic counterparts. And when treated with melted glass gaze, the tile can become completely impervious to water.
- Stain Resistant – We’ve all had that moment when we accidentally spill a glass of wine or juice onto a light carpet leaving it stained for life. But it’s not just carpet that can become stained as natural stones also need regular sealing to prevent even water from leaving a spot. Since porcelain tile flooring is virtually impenetrable, it would be near impossible for wine, water, and any other liquid to leave a mark on its surface. So the next time you spill something on your floor, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that it’s made out of porcelain.
- Low Maintenance – Maintaining porcelain tiling is relatively easy. Its surface is less absorptive to moisture which means spills and other causes of stain can easily be wiped clean using a damp cloth. To keep it squeaky clean and glossy, rinsing it with hot water and a mild detergent will normally do the trick. It’s the perfect material for those who want to maintain appealing flooring for very little effort. The necessary repairs are not that expensive too!
- Holds up in High- Traffic Areas – Porcelain floor tile is an ideal choice for the areas of the home of high traffic and will outperform other tiles in both long-term appearance and durability. Some other flooring material may quickly wear and can become scuffed and shabby- looking. But, even in high traffic, it maintains the appearance as new.
- Available in many styles – There is virtually an unlimited amount of style and porcelain tile installation that you can opt for your flooring using the material. Porcelain tiles can be built to replicate the look of granite, slate, marble, wood or limestone depending on your taste and preference.
- Durable Flooring Option – Unlike other materials like laminate and wood, porcelain tiles are extremely tough and highly resistant to rot and to swell even when exposed to moisture and different weather conditions and environments. This means that they can be used as flooring and wall covers for virtually any area in your home whether it’s in the bathroom, kitchen or patio and swimming pools.
- Fireproof – Porcelain can be heated to extreme temperatures, which means they are pretty fireproof and will not burn in any normal condition. The material also helps prevent the growth and movement of flames in case of a fire breaks out.
- Moisture Resistant – The high density of porcelain means it’s less likely to absorb moisture. They also do not crack due to cold and can even withstand freezing temperatures, which means they can be used outdoors to create a seamless look.
- Porcelain Tiles are Hygienic – Since the time of the ancient Egyptians, porcelain tiles have been used to provide a durable coated surface that is hygienic and easy to clean, both for indoor and outdoor environments, because of their non-porous qualities.